Today is EITC Awareness Day, a day to promote a program of benefit to working families and individuals.
EITC is a tax program although it acts very much like a safety-net program. It puts over $1 billion in the hands (or checking account) of New Jersey residents each year. However, it needs publicity every year, too. About 25% of state residents do not taken advantage of the program at tax time, even though the average EITC tax credit is more than $2,000.
This year the Earned Income Tax Credit page of the New Jersey Community Resources website has had a major revamping. Easy to find links are listed below. Please do what you can to spread the word about EITC to working families, constituents, and co-workers.
• Find a Location for Free Tax Help
• NJ Free Tax Assistance Locations
• Free Tax Site Locations in South Jersey and Philadelphia Area
• EITCoutreach.org’s Get It Back Campaign
• IRS’ EITC Assistant
• Free File
• AARP Foundation Tax-Aide
• IRS Publication 596
• Notice 1015 – “Have You Told Your Employees About the Earned Income Credit (EIC)?”
• IRS Notice 797 – “Possible Federal Tax Refund Due to the Earned Income Credit (EIC)”
• NJ EITC Page
• NJ Statement to Employees
• NJ EITC Informational Flyer